Two Days workshop on “Library Automation Using Koha and D-Space” at UMT
By Samina Shaheen
In line with the zeal to promote professional scholarship, Learning Resources Center (LRC) organized a Two days workshop on “Library Automation Using Koha and D-Space” (Intermediate Level) for Library Professionals at University of Management Technology, Johar Town Lahore on Friday-Saturday Sep 11-12, 2015. The workshop was designed to equipped participants with practical skills for open source software.
The main purpose of this workshop was to build professional’s understanding with Koha fully featured scalable library management system. Forty (40) participants attended the workshop from various parts of the country Lahore, Okara, Sargodha, Islamabad, Sialkot, Gujrat and Bahawalpur.
Muhammad Rafiq Awan Welcomed to the all participants and introduced the LRC (Learning Resource Centre) activities & shed light on previous workshops regarding library software at UMT.
Resource person for Koha Mr. Muhammad Naveed from Lahore High Court library and for DSpace Mr. Nusrat Ali Library Officer from UMT, introduced themselves and underlined the topics they have to covered in the workshop. They purposefully updated the audience and with current and emerging trends in librarianship using Koha and DSpace. They laid emphasis on the steps involved in the Koha and DSpace and also presented ideal opportunities for taking up and looking forward to new tasks around the wide ranging concepts that preside over the subject matter.
Topics are covered in the Workshop
Koha Training Features
- Data conversion
- Multiple patron membership through import process
- How to upload multiple pictures of patrons
- How to create patron Categories in Koha
- Customization of Cataloguing framework
- How to add item types in Koha
- Global Preferences Settings
- OPAC customization
- Reports Generation
- Backup Management of Koha
DSpace Training Modules
- Overview of DSpace
- Installation of DSpace on Window
- Dspace administration
- DSpace Users and Group management
- Dspace communities and collections management
- Dspace workflow for items submission
- Dspace Administrator tools
The workshop definitely enabled participants to incorporate content management facility of Koha into library website, document repository and any other online services the library may wish to bring together. It also helped learners to establish integrated search results delivered within the Koha interface.
What the participants said about course
- The workshop opened a window of opportunity in a sense that Koha has vast application in professional work and resource person tailored it to professional needs.
- Really thankful to both LRC and resource persons for making our job easy in running descriptive techniques and functions for librarians.
- An outstanding course, it has got our knowledge updated for better data organization, exploration and management.
- Playing with system has become much easier and than we ever conceived.
- We have understand more on applying functions in two days than many cumbersome years of making effort to learn application of records in library and the credits goes to LRC and resource persons.
The participants spoke very highly of the resource persons for helping them to be familiar with the information component needed to meet their expert needs.
The workshop came ended Saturday, Sep 12, 2015 with vote of thanks and souvenirs presentation to all participants and resources persons by Dr Muhammad Rafiq, Associate Professor, Department of Information Management, University of the Punjab, Lahore. He also appreciated of the LRC contribution to support and impulsion in library profession.