LITERARY NOTES: The 100 best Urdu books
1. Kulliyat-i-Sauda: collected works of Mirza Rafi Sauda, one of the classical Urdu poets.
2. Kulliyat-i-Meer: collected works of Mir Taqi Mir, one of the greatest of Urdu poets.
3. Bagh-o-bahar: a dastan, written by Mir Amman, is an example of simple yet idiomatic classical prose.
4. Fasana-i-ajaib: a dastan, penned by Rajab Ali Baig Suroor, is among the samples of the most ornate classical Urdu prose.
5. Gulzar-i-Naseem: one of the best Urdu masnavis, composed by Daya Shankar Naseem.
6. Kulliyat-i-Insha Allah Khan Insha: collected poetical works of a maestro.
7. Kulliyat-i-Nazeer Akberabadi: collected works of a classical yet modern poet.
8. Divan-i-Ghalib: one of the greatest works in Urdu poetry.
9. Khutoot-i-Ghalib: letters by the great bard.
Khutoot-i-Ghalib was written by Allama Iqbal
10. Kulliyat-i-Zauq: collected works of one of the maestros of Urdu poetry and idiomatic expression.
11. Sahr-ul-bayan: one of the best Urdu masnavis, composed by Mir Hasan.
12. Marasi-i-Anees: the elegies composed by one of the greatest poets of the genre.
13. Rubaiyaat-i-Anees: the maestro offers the best quatrains in Urdu.
14. Marasi-i-Dabeer: elegies composed by a great poet rivalled only by Anees.
15. Kulliyat-i-Aatish: collected works of another great poet of the Lucknow school.
16. Mazameen-i-Sir Syed: a selection of essays of one of the pioneers of the genre of essay in Urdu.
17. Bahr-ul-fasahat: a masterpiece on the art of prosody by Najm-ul-Ghani Rampuri.
18. Kulliyat-i-Akber Allahabadi: collected poetical works of a humorist and satirist.
19. Kulliyat-i-Nazm-i-Hali: collected poetical works of one of the pioneers of modern Urdu poetry.
20. Aab-i-hayat: a critical study of Urdu poetry and poets by Muhammad Hussain Azad.
21. Khayalaat-i-Azad: collected satirical essays of Nawab Syed Muhammad Azad.
22. Kala pani: an autobiography by Jafer Thanesari.
23. Seerat-un-Nabi: life of Prophet Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him) in seven volumes, by Shibli Naumani and Syed Sulaiman Nadvi.
24. Shair-ul-ajam: critical analysis of Persian poetry by Shibli Naumani.
25. Ibn-ul-vaqt: a satirical novel by Nazeer Ahmed Dehlvi.
26. Fasana-i-Azad: a humorous novel-like dastan by Pandit Ratan Nath Sarshar.
27. Sanam khana-i-ishq: a collection of ghazals by Ameer Meenai.
28. Gulzar-i-daagh: a collection of ghazals by Daagh Dehlvi.
29. Kulliyat-i-naat: by Mohsin Kakorvi, one of the best naat-writers of Urdu.
30. A dictionary of Urdu, classical Hindi and English: by John T. Platts.
A dictionary of Urdu, classical Hindi and English by John T. Platts
31. Farhang-i-Asifiya: compiled by Syed Ahmed Dehlvi, it is one of the most authentic of Urdu dictionaries.
32. Umrao jaan ada: a novel by Mirza Hadi Rusva.
33. Muqaddama-i-shair-o-shaeri: a treatise on modern Urdu criticism and poetics by Altaf Hussain Hali.
34. Yadgar-i-Ghalib: a biography of Ghalib by Altaf Hussain Hali.
35. Miftah-ul-qavaid: Urdu grammar in two volumes, by Fateh Muhammad Jalandhari.
36. Qavaid-i-Urdu: Urdu grammar by Moulvi Abdul Haq.
37. Kulliyat-i-Iqbal: collected works of one of the greatest poets of Urdu.
38. Kulliyat-i-Zafar Ali Khan: collected poetical works.
39. Noor-ul-lughaat: compiled by Noor-ul-Hasan Nayyar, a dictionary much underrated despite its merits.
40. Mazameen-i-Farhat: humorous essays by Farhatullah Baig.
41. Prem Chand ke afsaane: a selection of short stories.
42. Ghubaar-i-khatir: a collection of letters by Abul Kalam Azad.
43. Anarkali: drama by Imtiaz Ali Taj.
44. Manto ke afsaane: a selection of short stories.
45. Tlism-i-khayal: a collection of short stories by Krishan Chandr.
46. Mazaameen-i-Rasheed: satirical essays by Rasheed Ahmed Siddiqi.
47. Majmooa Hasan Askari: collected critical works of Muhammad Hasan Askari.
48. Pitras ke mazameen: humorous essays by Pitras Bukhari.
Pitras ke mazameen
49. Kausar trilogy: a social and cultural history of Indo-Pak subcontinent in three volumes by S.M. Ikram.
50. Bar-i-azeem Pak-o-Hind ki millat-i-Islamia: written by I.H. Qureshi, it is a comprehensive history of Muslims in the subcontinent.
51. Mazaameen-i-Saleem Ahmed: the collected critical works.
52. Khutbaat: this book of Maulana Mowdoodi’s has run into over 100 editions.
53. Urdu encyclopaedia of Islam: Published by Punjab University, Lahore, in 23 volumes.
54. Urdu lughat taareekhi usool par: the most comprehensive, 22-volume Urdu dictionary published by Urdu Dictionary Board, Karachi.
55. Urdu thesaurus: compiled by Rafiq Khavaer and published by Muqtadira Qaumi Zaban, Islamabad.
56. Encyclopaedia Pakistanica: the one-volume work by Syed Qasim Mahmood.
57. Ganjeena-i-gauher: a collection of pen-sketches by Shahid Ahmed Dehlvi.
58. Bajang aamad: humorous memoirs by Colonel Muhammad Khan.
59. Urdu ki aakhri kitab: a satirical work by Ibn-i-Insah.
60. Aag ka darya: a novel by Qurrat-ul-Ain Hyder.
Aag ka darya: a novel by Qurrat-ul-Ain Hyder
61. Khuda ki basti: a novel by Shaukat Siddiqi.
62. Aangan: a novel by Khadija Mastoor.
63. Chiragh tale: essays by one of the most prominent humorists, Mushtaq Ahmed Yousufi.
64. Afkaar-i-Pareeshan: peppered with satire, the essays were written by Justice M. R. Kayani.
65. Dunya gol hai: a travelogue with Ibn-i-Insha’s typical humour.
66. Jadeed Urdu shaeri: a two-volume treatise on modern Urdu poetry by Aziz Hamid Madani.
67. Safar dar safar: travel account by Ashfaq Ahmed, in his usual style.
68. Tareekh-i-adab-i-Urdu: the monumental, four-volume history of Urdu literature by Jameel Jalibi.
69. Urdu shaeri ka mizaaj: a critical work by Wazir Agha.
70. Mazameen-i-Siraj-i-Muneer: essays on literature, culture and history.
71. Kulliyat-e-Aziz Hamid Madani: collected poetical works.
72. Basti: a novel by Intizar Hussain.
73. Khama bagosh ke qalam se: satirical literary criticism by Mushfiq Khwaja.
74. Sarguzasht: memoirs by Z.A. Bukhari.
75. Zarguzasht: memoirs by Mushtaq Yousufi.
76. Aam lisaniyaat: a comprehensive work on linguistics by Gian Chand.
77. Ma fiz-zameer: a collection of humorous poetry by Zameer Jaferi.
78. Shaukhi-i-tehreer: a collection of humorous poetry by Syed Muhammad Jaferi.
79. Tareekh-i-falsafa: a one-volume history of philosophy, translated by Moulvi Ehsaan, published by Karachi University.
80. Falsafe ke bunyadi masail: basics of philosophy, by Qazi Qaiser-ul-Islam.
81. Aam fikri mughalte: common theoretical misconceptions, written by Ali Abbas Jalalpuri.
82. Aanandi: short stories by Ghulam Abbas.
Aanandi by Ghulam Abbas
83. Maqalat-i-Sherani: research papers on Urdu and Persian languages and literature by Hafiz Mahmood Sherani, in 10 volumes.
84. Mabahis: critical essays by Syed Abdullah.
85. Lisani masael-o-lataaef: collection of interesting articles on Urdu language, by Shan-ul-Haq Haqqee.
86. Kashshaf-e-tanqeedi istelahaat: a dictionary of literary terms by A. Hafeez Siddiqi.
87. Urdu imla: scholarly work on Urdu orthography by Rasheed Hasan Khan.
88. Yadon ki baraat: an autobiography by Josh Maleehabadi.
89. Nuskha haae vafa: poetical works of Faiz Ahmed Faiz.
Faiz Ahmed Faiz.
90. Kulliyat-i-Josh Maleehabadi: collected poetical works.
91. Tadveen-i-hadith: a history of Hadith by Manazir Ahsan Geelani.
92. Khushboo: a collection of Parveen Shakir’s poetry.
93. Gulaftab: a collection of modernistic poetry by Zafar Iqbal.
94. Parvaaz: humorous essays by Shafeeq-ur-Rahman.
95. Kulliyat-i-N. M. Rashid: collected poetical works.
96. Kulliyat-i-Majeed Amjad: collected poetical works.
97. Khutbaat-i-Bahwalpur: a collection of essays on Islam by Dr Muhammad Hameedullah.
98. Aavaz-i-dost: cultural and historical essays by Mukhtar Masood.
99. Dar-i-dilkusha: memoirs by Sheikh Manzoor Ilahi.
100. Any novel by Ibn-i-Safi: the great writer of detective fiction.