Job Title: Assistant Director – University Library
Reports to: University Librarian
Scope of the Job:
Under the Head of University Library articulates the Libraries’ mission and goals; provides leadership for the Libraries’ staff, operations, and services; advances the Libraries’ reputation on a local, regional, and national scale; collaborates with university administrators in carrying out the University’s academic priorities.
As Habib University is a new institution, the role of the University Librarian is to
1. Assist leadership in articulating a clear vision for the University Library
2. Develop and implement Library Strategic Plans to meet University’s academic priorities
3. Assists in managing the University Libraries human, financial, and physical resources.
4. Oversees all departmental operations including but not limited to: budget preparation and oversight, submission of reports, grant acquisition and management.
5. Implement Library Policies and Procedures, applicable to University faculty, students, administrators and the university community at large
6. Develop and implement the information technology plan for the Library, with a customer-centered approach to serving the digital information needs of the University
7. Work with the faculty in defining library collections for the first year of classes and develop plans for expansion of collection
8. Recruit and develop library staff for management of University Library
9. Develops strategies to align library services with University curricula and research.
10. Ensures implementation of new technologies that enhance library services.
11. Continually aligns services to meet the needs of diverse constituencies within the University Community.
12. Oversees the day to day operations of the library to ensure reasonable access to all library services
13. Communicates the value of library services to faculty, staff, and students.
14. Maintains knowledge of current issues and trends in academic information services such as instructional technology and design, information literacy, assessment, copyright and fair use.
15. Performs other duties as assigned by the University Librarian.
Qualifications and Experience:
1. Master’s degree from an ALA accredited program or equivalent.
2. A record of scholarly achievement.
3. Leadership experience in an academic or research library.
4. Experience optimizing the delivery of library services
5. Experience developing and implementing strategic or project plans.
6. Experience with library space building, expansion or design projects.
7. Budgetary experience.
8. A record of service in professional library or academic associations.
9. Experience implementing new technologies to enhance library services.
10. Experience developing collaborations regionally, nationally or internationally.
Skills and competencies:
1. Knowledge of implementing and using KOHA as a library management system.
2. Knowledge of emerging technologies within the domain of scholarship, scholarly communication, and library services.
3. Demonstrated ability to work with administrators, faculty, students, staff, and other library constituents.
4. Commitment to fostering a diverse staff.
5. Commitment to serving a diverse community.
6. Proven success as an effective communicator.
7. Evidence of excellent interpersonal skills.
8. Evidence of strong management skills.
Applications should include a cover letter, detailed resume providing evidence of a distinguished record of librarianship and scholarly achievement, and the contact information for three references, which should be sent electronically (a singlePDF file preferred) and in confidence to email@example.com
About the Organization:
Habib University is a liberal arts and science institution being established by Habib University Foundation as a world class center of excellence in higher learning in Karachi, Pakistan. Habib University offers undergraduate programs, with a unique blend of interdisciplinary education in Science, Engineering, Arts, Humanities and the Social Sciences. The University initiated classes with 100 students and will continue to grow in numbers in subsequent years. The University is looking to develop and implement a creative and innovative admissions plan and process that addresses the needs of higher education in Pakistan and also represents best practices
in admissions internationally.
For more information please visit our website habib.edu.pk